Bypass Repeated Content

An extraordinary ensemble in an idyllic setting

Bebenhausen Monastery and Palace

Bebenhausen Monastery and Palace, detail of the mural on the north side of the presbyterium with an image of the founder, Abbot Peter von Gomaringen. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Stephan Kohls
Following family tradition

Peter von Gomaringen

Abbot Peter von Gomaringen came from the local area of Bebenhausen. His family, the lords of Gomaringen, contributed many members of the clergy to history. The monastery has him to thank for the famous crossing tower and the ridge turret of the summer refectory, both of which constituted infringements against the rules of the order.

Bebenhausen Monastery and Palace, panel relic. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Stephan Kohls

The panel relic was donated by Abbot Peter von Gomaringen.

What connects Abbot Peter with Bebenhausen?

Abbot of Bebenhausen: members of his family occupied that position three times. His older brother Werner von Gomaringen immediately preceded him, first as prior and by 1356 as abbot of Bebenhausen, for more than forty years. After Peter von Gomaringen held office from 1393 to 1412, the leadership of the Cistercian abbey was taken over by Heinrich von Hailfingen, a closely relative of the family.

The lands of Bebenhausen.

What does Bebenhausen owe the lords of Gomaringen?

The office of Abbot Werner meant the beginning of economic success for the monastery. He attempted to concentrate the land holdings of Bebenhausen into a cohesive whole. As the 19th abbot of Bebenhausen, his younger brother Peter continued this path. Distant parcels of land, which were difficult for the abbey to work, were sold, so that nearer parcels could be bought. In the end, the monastery worked and ruled an almost completely enclosed territory.

Crossing tower of Bebenhausen Monastery. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Arnim Weischer

The symbol of the monastery.

What traces of Abbot Peter remain today?

The crossing tower of the monastery church, which can still be seen today, is the symbol of Bebenhausen. Abbot Peter was the builder. On a fresco in the choir of the monastery church, he had himself depicted as the one presenting the tower to the Virgin Mother. However, according to the rules of the Cistercian order, large church towers made of stone were forbidden. Abbot Peter broke this rule twice: He also gave the summer refectory a ridge turret. In the chapter house, a tomb slab commemorates this proud abbot.